Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Recent Visit to Windmill Nursery

I made a resolution this year to spend much less money on plants, so I haven't been making many trips to nurseries or plant sales this year. But a week or so ago, I did pop down the hill to Windmill Nursery in Sumner, to pick up some seeds for the veggie beds - radishes, spinach, snow peas, carrots and mustard greens.

Of course, I had to take a good look around and see what they were selling!


Territorial has a nice line of organic seeds.

Windmill has a good selection of seed companies.

Magnolia 'Black Tulip' was flowering in a pot just outside the door

This concrete leaf fountain is pretty cool!

They had pots of Muscari 'Golden Fragrance' for sale.

Muscari "Golden Fragrance' smelled heavenly

Agave and Lewisia

Lewisia

Scotch moss in alternating gold and green patchwork

Black mondo grass, Ajuga and golden spike moss


I saw photos from this year's Northwest Flower and garden Show, of one of the show gardens that had a plant combo of Ajuga 'Black Scallop' and golden spike moss. I'd love to try this combo in the northeast back corner of my garden, under some Douglas firs. Of course, I like that golden Scotch moss too, so I might try that with the Ajuga as well. But, not this year.

Armeria rubrifolia and Selaginella kraussiana Aurea (golden spike moss)

A colorful collection of Heuchera

Asarum 'Panda Face'

Anemone coronaria 'Marianne Red'

Anemone coronaria 'Marianne Blue'

Helleborus Winter Jewels 'Black Diamond'

Camellia 'Tom Knudsen' -- the most recently opened flowers have a decidedly salmon shade, but you can see the older blooms behind age to burgundy


The following display of Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' and Primula veris has me wondering if someone on their staff has been to Far Reaches, where similar plant combos appear over and over in their display garden.


Yellow...

And white. Both are striking!

Bougainvillea display table in the tropical greenhouse

Bougainvillea 'Barbara Karst'

Another striking combo -- deep purple pansies, golden Acorus and variegated bear's breeches


Believe it or not, I came home with just seeds, and sowed them immediately. My radishes, spinach and mustard greens are already up!

If you'd like to check out a previous post on my blog about a visit to Windmill, which shows pictures of their display garden, check here.