Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day -- February 2017

It's hard to believe February is already half done. Miraculously, there seems to be quite a lot blooming, in the garden, when you look closely enough.

Mahonia x media 'Charity

Garrya (could be elliptica, could be issaquahensis)

Ditto the above

Garrya will never win any awards for fabulous foliage, but those flowers at this time of year are the best. I have two in my garden, and I've lost track of which is which. One seems to be blooming a little further along than the other, but the other one has healthier foliage, and has grown much larger in the same amount of time.

Cyclamen coum

Cyclamen coum

Sarcococca (sweetbox, smells so good)

Hamamelis (not Jelena)

Hamamelis (not Jelena)

I used to think my Hamamelis was 'Jelena' but it's not. I could look up the tag, but where's the fun in that?
Hellebore 'Penny's Pink (I think)

Hellebore

Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' (also smells so good)

Black pussy willow

Black pussy willow


And there's a few flowers in the greenhouse, as well.

Bilbergia nutans (Queen's tears) featured in yesterday's Valentine's Day post

Iochroma 'Ashcott Red'

Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer'

Closeup, showing beelines

Begonia 'Baby Dress'

Pregnant onion

I noticed lots of swelling buds in the garden when I was wandering with my camera. Spring really is right around the corner here. I need to get out and start doing more cleanup. Things are a mushy, ugly mess after our snow, but I'm having a hard time getting enthusiastic. I'm counting on the Northwest Flower and Garden Show next week to rev my engine up.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on the 15th of the month. Check out her post here.